Employee Carpool Programs
Carpooling is a great way to get to and from campus. Mason encourages employees to use alternative transportation such as carpooling to help the university curb its carbon emissions and decrease traffic on campus.
Employees can choose from TWO carpool programs:
Carpool PREFERRED Parking program allows employees to park in designated parking spaces that are conveniently located in lots and decks.
Carpool PREMIUM Parking program allows employees with a deck or reserved Lot I or reserved Lot J permit to receive up to 40% off the parking permit for carpooling.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 29, 2017
All faculty and staff are eligible to participate in the carpool programs. Eligible carpools consist of two or more individuals sharing one faculty/staff parking permit and one Supplemental Carpool Permit per carpool (members can register more than one vehicle). Other rules and restrictions may apply. Please see below for more details.
Find A Carpool
To find a carpool, register at www.zimride.com/mason. Zimride is Mason's private network for ridesharing that helps people find others who are traveling the same way they are. Use your Mason email address and password to sign up.
How to Apply
To apply for a carpool permit, please print this application and have each member in the carpool fill out and sign it, obtain a copy of each individual's Mason ID and drop off the form along with the copies of everyone's Mason ID and any permits that have already been bought at the Transportation Office, located in Nottoway Annex (in Lot C).
The Transportation Office will process your application and you will receive an email or a phone call within three days to pick up your carpool permit from the Transportation Office.
How It Works
Carpool PREFERRED Parking
Carpool PREMIUM Parking
A carpool permit in the Carpool Preferred Parking program is valid for one year.
The Carpool PREFERRED Parking program allows employees to park in designated parking spaces that are conveniently located in lots and decks.
Upon approval of the application, a supplemental carpool permit will be issued to the primary permit holder. Both permits must be displayed on the carpool vehicle. Hang the regular permit on the rear view mirror and place the supplemental permit on the dashboard. If a citation is issued, it will be assigned to the primary permit holder. Upon request, a citation can be reassigned to another carpool member's registered vehicle.
At least one participant in the group must own a valid faculty/staff permit and consequently be responsible for its payment and use. The carpool group will designate a primary permit holder if more than one member owns a permit. The group is responsible for transferring the permit among the participants, as well as reconciling all financial issues. Each carpool vehicle must be registered with the carpool group.
There are no discounts on permits in general lots but the PREFERRED parking spots will remain available to carpools. Faculty/Staff carpools can park in designated carpool spots in the general lots or decks if one member has the appropriate deck permit and provided that they have registered with Parking and Transportation.
The 2 free daily parking passes (for non- permit holders only), the additional 5 daily passes can be obtained in the Transportation Office.
Carpool Parking Locations
- Mason Pond Drive - 8 spaces
- Lot A - 4 spaces
- Mason Pond Deck (3rd level )- 2 spaces
- Shenandoah Parking Deck (formerly Sandy Creek Deck) (3rd level) - 3 spaces
- Rappahannock River Deck(southeast corner of Level 1) - 6 spaces
Prince William Campus:
- Occoquan Lot – 2 spaces
- King Lot – 2 spaces
- Discovery A Lot – 2 spaces
- Vernon Smith Garage at 3434 Washington Boulevard (P1 level next to Founders Hall bridge) - 2 spaces
- Founders Hall Garage - 21 spaces
Carpools need to reapply each semester to be in the Carpool PREMIUM Parking program.
The Carpool PREMIUM Parking program allows employees to only park in reserved Lot I, reserved Lot J, and decks (Founders, Rappahannock River, Shenandoah, and Mason Pond).
All carpools with deck, Lot I and Lot J permits are eligible for the following parking permit rebates:
- 20% off the permit price for a two person carpool
- 30% off the permit price for a three person carpool
- 40% off for a four person carpool.
- Rebates are offered on a semester basis only (although reserved permits only sold on annual basis). The rebate amount based on semester value of the annual permit.
- ONLY ONE EMPLOYEE IN THE CARPOOL GROUP MAY OWN A PERMIT.
Upon approval of the application, a supplemental carpool permit will be issued to the primary permit holder. Both permits must be displayed on the carpool vehicle but may be transferred between vehicles of carpool participants. Hang the regular permit on the rear view mirror and place the supplemental permit on the dashboard. The permit is bought at full price. The rebate will be given to the permit holder at the end of each semester. To receive the rebate at the end of the spring semester, the carpool must submit a Carpool Application by September 29,2017.
For employees in the carpool group that may have a permit but will not be the primary permit holder, their permit may be turned with the Carpool Application and they will receive a full refund minus a $15 administrative fee.
Everyone in the carpool can receive an access device with a refundable deposit of $25 per access device, so that the access device does not have to be transferred between vehicles. The group is still responsible for transferring the regular and supplemental carpool permits among the participants, as well as reconciling all financial issues. Each carpool vehicle must be registered with the carpool group. ONLY ONE ACCESS DEVICE PER CARPOOL CAN BE IN THE DECK AT ONE TIME
If you have a carpool deck or reserved Lot I or J permit (and you get the rebate), you must follow the normal rules for that permit which only allows parking in general lots after 5pm. The primary permit holder will receive a $35 restricted violation if he/she does not park in the appropriate area. Video monitoring will be enforced over the course of the academic year to ensure that all carpools are compliant with the policy.
The 2 free daily parking passes (for non-permit holder only), the additional 5 daily passes can be obtained in the Transportation Office.
Benefits and Incentives
- Guaranteed Ride Home provides up to 4 FREE Taxi rides home in case of emergency. Sign up at: http://www.mwcog.org/commuter2/commuter/grh/index.html
- 2 FREE Daily Parking Passes per Month - Non-permit holders only
- Additional Discounted Parking Passes - Carpoolers have the option of buying an additional half-priced pack of 5 daily passes per semester for $20 or half-priced pack of 5 deck validations for $35.
- Payroll Deduction - In addition to the PREFERRED parking spaces, those permits paid through payroll deduction can be turned in and deductions will cease immediately.
- Financial Savings - Sharing the cost of one parking permit and gas helps save money on your commute.
- Less stressful commute - Carpools can take advantage of HOV lanes and arrive to campus faster.
- Go Green - Make your contribution to our environment by carpooling and helping to reduce CO2 emissions.
If Your Carpool Changes
If a member of the carpool chooses to leave the carpool, the primary permit holder needs to promptly notify the Transportation Office. If only one member remains in the group, the Transportation Office must be notified and all alternative transportation programs will be cancelled.
Email the Transportation Office at email@example.com or call 703.993.2828.