Accelerating Active Transportation
Change in Northern Virginia
Thursday, March 25, 2021
9am-5pm, virtual via Zoom
All sessions recorded. Recordings and presentations are available from the link below.
The recordings and slides from the event are available at Presentations/Recordings.
The goal of the Accelerating Active Transportation in Northern Virginia is to share information on a wide variety of active transportation topics by addressing how we can:
- Make active transportation more accessible to all in Northern Virginia
- Shine a light on opportunities for change
- Highlight and promote the intersection of health and active transportation
- Expand outreach and engagement among underserved communities
- Utilize data in new and innovative ways
- Continue to engineer safety into all types of facilities for every mode of transportation.
In short, we hope to provide a forum to further develop what might be possible in the area of active transportation through collaboration and innovative thinking.
Confirmed Speakers and Presenters
- Danielle Arigoni, Director, AARP Livable Communities
- Christine Berthet, NYC Crash Mapper
- Torsha Bhattacharya, Director of Research, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
- Lama Bou Mjahed, Research Director, Mobility Lab
- Charles T. Brown, MPA, CPD, President/CEO, Equitable Cities, LLC
- Ralph Buehler, Program Chair and Professor, Urban Affairs and Planning, School of Public and International Affairs, Virginia Tech
- Gillian Burgess, Founder, Kidical Mass Arlington & President, Arlington Families for Safe Streets
- Josh Cantor, Director of Parking and Transportation, George Mason University
- Mark Cole, Assistant State Traffic Engineer, VDOT
- Jay Corbalis, Vice President, Public Affairs, JBG Smith
- Andy Clarke, Director of Strategy, Toole Design
- Alison Dewey, Education Director, League of American Bicyclists
- Kristin Donley, M.Ed., NBCT, Health, Physical Education, and Family Life Education K-12 Instructional Specialist, Alexandria City Public Schools
- Mike Doyle, Founding Member, Northern Virginia Families for Safe Streets (NoVAFSS)
- Rachel O'Dwyer Flynn, Deputy County Executive, Fairfax County
- Lauren Hassel, Safe Routes to School Coordinator, Arlington Public Schools
- Kori Johnson, Program Support Manager, The Safe Routes Partnership
- Tom Kaiden, Chief Operating Officer, Visit Alexandria
- Jeffrey C. McKay, Chair, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
- Renée Moore, Transit Specialist, City of Alexandria
- Dalia Palchik, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, Providence District
- Anna Ricklin, Health in all Policy Manager, Fairfax County
- Jennifer D. Roberts, Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology, School of Public Health, University of Maryland College Park (UMD)
- Debbie Spiliotopoulos, Senior Environmental Planner, Northern Virginia Regional Commission
- Scott A. Surovell, Senator, Senate of Virginia, District 36
- Michael R. Turner, Loudoun County Board of Supervisors, Ashburn District
- Bill Threlkeld, Division Director, Community Building & Self-Sufficiency Programs, Cornerstones
- Jack Trainor, Virginia Tech, Graduate School of Urban Planning
- Adam Tuss, NBC4 Washington Transportation Reporter
- Justin Wilson, Mayor, City of Alexandria
- Christopher Zimmerman, Vice President for Economic Development, Smart Growth America
Register here. There is no cost to register - it's free.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
News and Announcements
Parking Services Office
Location: Colgan Hall, Room 112
Hours of Operation
Office Hours (by appointment)
To schedule an appointment with a SciTech Parking representative please call (703) 582-4698 between 8A & 4P Monday - Friday.
Office will be closed during Winter Break.