Accelerating Active Transportation Change in Northern Virginia
Accelerating Active Transportation
Change in Northern Virginia
Thursday, March 25, 2021
9am-5pm, virtual via Zoom
All sessions recorded. Recordings and presentations are available from the link below.
The recordings and slides from the event are available at Presentations/Recordings.
The goal of the Accelerating Active Transportation in Northern Virginia is to share information on a wide variety of active transportation topics by addressing how we can:
- Make active transportation more accessible to all in Northern Virginia
- Shine a light on opportunities for change
- Highlight and promote the intersection of health and active transportation
- Expand outreach and engagement among underserved communities
- Utilize data in new and innovative ways
- Continue to engineer safety into all types of facilities for every mode of transportation.
In short, we hope to provide a forum to further develop what might be possible in the area of active transportation through collaboration and innovative thinking.
Confirmed Speakers and Presenters
- Danielle Arigoni, Director, AARP Livable Communities
- Christine Berthet, NYC Crash Mapper
- Torsha Bhattacharya, Director of Research, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
- Lama Bou Mjahed, Research Director, Mobility Lab
- Charles T. Brown, MPA, CPD, President/CEO, Equitable Cities, LLC
- Ralph Buehler, Program Chair and Professor, Urban Affairs and Planning, School of Public and International Affairs, Virginia Tech
- Gillian Burgess, Founder, Kidical Mass Arlington & President, Arlington Families for Safe Streets
- Josh Cantor, Director of Parking and Transportation, George Mason University
- Mark Cole, Assistant State Traffic Engineer, VDOT
- Jay Corbalis, Vice President, Public Affairs, JBG Smith
- Andy Clarke, Director of Strategy, Toole Design
- Alison Dewey, Education Director, League of American Bicyclists
- Kristin Donley, M.Ed., NBCT, Health, Physical Education, and Family Life Education K-12 Instructional Specialist, Alexandria City Public Schools
- Mike Doyle, Founding Member, Northern Virginia Families for Safe Streets (NoVAFSS)
- Rachel O'Dwyer Flynn, Deputy County Executive, Fairfax County
- Lauren Hassel, Safe Routes to School Coordinator, Arlington Public Schools
- Kori Johnson, Program Support Manager, The Safe Routes Partnership
- Tom Kaiden, Chief Operating Officer, Visit Alexandria
- Jeffrey C. McKay, Chair, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
- Renée Moore, Transit Specialist, City of Alexandria
- Dalia Palchik, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, Providence District
- Anna Ricklin, Health in all Policy Manager, Fairfax County
- Jennifer D. Roberts, Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology, School of Public Health, University of Maryland College Park (UMD)
- Debbie Spiliotopoulos, Senior Environmental Planner, Northern Virginia Regional Commission
- Scott A. Surovell, Senator, Senate of Virginia, District 36
- Michael R. Turner, Loudoun County Board of Supervisors, Ashburn District
- Bill Threlkeld, Division Director, Community Building & Self-Sufficiency Programs, Cornerstones
- Jack Trainor, Virginia Tech, Graduate School of Urban Planning
- Adam Tuss, NBC4 Washington Transportation Reporter
- Justin Wilson, Mayor, City of Alexandria
- Christopher Zimmerman, Vice President for Economic Development, Smart Growth America
Register here. There is no cost to register - it's free.
Please contact email@example.com.
News and Announcements
Mason Shuttles summer service begins on Monday, May 17. Service will continue Monday–Friday only. The schedule includes a limited Fairfax/SciTech Read More
Eleven northern Virginia organizations, including Mason’s Parking and Transportation department, teamed up for a one-day virtual summit entitled Accelerating Active Read More
Whether you currently bike for commuting or recreation or are contemplating starting to bike some days (or all days) Read More
We are delighted to share that Mason has been named one of the 2021 Best Universities for Commuters by Best Read More
Parking Services Office
Location: Colgan Hall, Room 112
Hours of Operation
Office Hours (by appointment)
To schedule an appointment with a SciTech Parking representative please call (703) 582-4698 between 8A & 4P Monday - Friday.
Office will be closed during Winter Break.