Parking Permit Sales Spring 2020
Parking permits for the 2020 Spring Semester will go on sale ONLINE ONLY starting on Monday, December 2nd, 2019
How do I purchase my parking permit?
- Go to My Parking Account
- Log in using your Mason ID and Patriot Web password and then click Purchase Your Permit
- Verify and/or edit your mailing address. Resident students must have an active Postal Box number in Patriot Web to use their University address
- Select the permit you would like to purchase
- Please read all the rules & regulations associated with the permit you intend to purchase and if you agree, click the Accept button. You are responsible for adhering to the posted rules so please make sure you understand & agree before making a purchase.
- Verify permit type and information listed prior to inputting payment information
- Click on the “print permit” link just below the permit description on the final screen. This will allow you to print a ten day temporary permit usable immediately while you’re waiting for the permit to arrive in the mail. If your permit does not arrive in the mail within ten days, please go to the Parking Services office to be issued a replacement permit.
To see where your chosen permit is valid as well as the rules and regulations page for your permit, please consult the Permits and Permit Regulations page.
Reserved Parking Deck/Garage parking permits require an access device that will allow you to enter/exit your reserved area of the parking deck (if you are purchasing the same reserved Parking Deck parking permit for the 2019-20 academic year that you had for the 2018-19 academic year, your current access device will be reactivated).
If you will need to obtain or exchange an access device, please visit the appropriate Parking Services Office (Fairfax office is located next to the Shenandoah Parking Deck and is open Monday - Thursday, 8:30am-7pm and Friday from 8:30am-5pm). The Arlington office is located in Room 219 of the Van Metre Hall Building and is open Monday – Thursday, 8:30am-6pm and Friday from 8:30am-3pm). Please allow 2 business days to obtain access device after permit purchase.
Reserved Parking Permit Rules & Regulations
- Student Reserved parking permits: Mason Pond Deck, Shenandoah Deck, Rappahannock River Deck, Founders Hall, Lot R, Lot I and Lot J reserved permits are only allowed to park in the General permit areas of the Fairfax campus from 5pm – 11pm Monday through Friday and all day on the weekends. At all other times these permit holders must park in their designated permit areas. Any Faculty/Staff members who have purchased a Lot I or Lot J permit are held to the same rules as stated above. Reserved permits are sold in limited quantities to ensure space availability to permit holders under normal conditions. Reserved areas may be used as overflow parking on occasion but permit holders will still be assured a space.
- The only exceptions to these rules are Mason Pond and Shenandoah Evening permits which are valid in the General permit areas at all times.
Free parking and alternative transportation options are also available (Mason Shuttles, biking, or public transportation). Visit transportation.gmu.edu for more information.
- The Burke Centre VRE has a FREE PARKING GARAGE. The Burke Centre VRE shuttle travels between the garage at the Burke VRE station and the Fairfax Campus. The trip is approximately 20 minutes. Please check the Burke Centre VRE shuttle schedule for full details.
- Free Mason Shuttles run regularly between Fairfax Campus and Vienna Metro, Science and Technology Campus, and area shopping centers (Gunston’s Go Bus). Check shuttle.gmu.edu for details.
- CUE Bus-free with Mason ID. Travel through City of Fairfax and to/from Vienna Metro. Check org for details.
Student Carpool Program-Discounts for Reserved Deck and Lots I Reserved and Lot J Reserved permits
The student carpool program provides a 20% - 40% refund on reserved deck (Mason Pond Deck, Shenandoah Deck, Rappahannock River Deck, Founders Hall, Lot I, and Lot J Reserved permits.) Register your carpool at the Transportation Office (located in Nottoway Annex) by February 21, 2020 to receive the discount. ONLY one person in the group will be able to own a permit but the permit can be shared between members of the group. The discount will depend on the number of people in the carpool. For more information, please go to the student carpool program.
Carpool Zone in Lot A and Rappahannock Deck (Level 1) – General Parking Permit Only
Anyone with a General student or faculty/staff parking permit that carpools to campus can park in these areas. Carpooling is when two or more people ride in the same vehicle. The carpool zone in Lot A and the carpool zone in the Rappahannock Deck (Level 1) will be open 7am-11am on Monday through Friday, During all other times, the area will be regular general permit parking.
How it Works: Arrive to a carpool zone with at least one other person in your vehicle between the hours of 7am and 11am on any day Mon – Fri. An ambassador from Parking Services will be present to ensure that only those who carpool are allowed to park there. Those driving alone will not be able to park in the Carpool Zone. Use Zimride to find or share a ride!
Motorcycles, Mopeds, and Motorized Scooters
All motorcycles, mopeds and motorized scooters will be required to have a permit displayed when parking on any of George Mason University’s campuses. Motorcycles, mopeds and motorized scooters will no longer be allowed to park at bike racks/shelters. Parking will only be permitted in dedicated motorcycle parking areas with a motorcycle permit, or in a regular vehicle space with a valid parking permit (lockable permit holders can be purchased at the Fairfax Parking Services Office for $25). A dedicated motorcycle/moped/scooter permit can be purchased online for $100/year, or $30 as a supplemental permit when purchased with a regular vehicle permit. If you have a moped or motorized scooter that has not been registered with the DMV (no license plates), then you will need to purchase your permit at the Parking Services Office.