Parking and Traffic Alert: Housing Move-In, August 23–26
From August 23-26, several parking and traffic closures will occur on the Fairfax Campus to accommodate the move-In of over 6,000 residential students (including over 2,300 freshmen).
A successful move-in process is a university priority. Key units across the university coordinate the move-in process to make the experience as efficient as possible. Your patience and cooperation are appreciated.
Refer to the move-in parking and traffic map for parking lot and road locations.
Parking Closures and Impacts
- Lot C: Closed from Wednesday, Aug 22, at 10 p.m. to Thursday, Aug 23, at 6 p.m.
- Lot L: Closed from Thursday, August 23, from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Rappahannock River Parking Deck: Faculty and staff are advised to avoid parking in the deck on Thursday, August 23. General faculty/staff permit holders may park on the roof ONLY on Thursday, August 23. General permit area on Levels 1–3 (including faculty/staff general area on Level 3) will be closed to all but move-in traffic only on Thursday, August 23, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Reserved permit holders may park on reserved levels 3–5 on August 23. From August 23–26, reserved levels will only be accessible via the University Drive entrance on Level 2. The reserved level gates will be open to accommodate families and students moving in to the residence halls.
- Lot I: Closed to all but move-in traffic from Friday, August 24, at 10 p.m. to Saturday, August 25, at 6 p.m.
- Lot R: Closed to all but move-in traffic from Wednesday, August 22, at 6 p.m. until Saturday, August 25, at 6 p.m.
- Short-Term Lots: Washington Lot near Presidents Park (off Shenandoah River Lane) will be closed from Thursday, August 23, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, August 26, at 5 p.m. The short-term parking lot by Eastern Shore will only be available to move-in traffic with disabled permits from Thursday, August 23, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, August 26, at 5 p.m.
Traffic Closures and Impacts
- To avoid delays, drivers are advised to access campus via the entrances at Mason Pond Drive (from Ox Road/Route 123), Shenandoah River Lane (from Roberts Road), and Campus Drive (from Braddock Road).
- The Nottoway River Laneentrance to campus at Braddock Road will be closed on Thursday, August 23, from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Roanoke River Roadentrance will be open to traffic. However, those moving into the Shenandoah Neighborhood (Presidents Park) will use this entrance. Therefore, traffic will be very busy at Roanoke River Road.
- Patriot Circlein front of the Rappahannock River Parking Deck will be closed to all traffic from Thursday, August 23, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, August 26, at 6 p.m. Access to the visitor section of the deck will be available via Rappahannock River Lane and Patriot Circle.
- Chesapeake River Lanewill be closed to all traffic except commercial deliveries from Thursday, August 23, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, August 26, at 6 p.m.
- Rivanna River Lanewill be closed to all but service and delivery vehicles on Thursday, August 23, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and again from Saturday, August 25, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, August 26, at 6 p.m.
Thank you for your cooperation as we welcome our resident students to campus for the new academic year—especially our freshmen and their families, who are now, part of the Mason family!