Employee Carpool Premium Program
The Carpool PREMIUM Parking program is ONLY available in Reserved Lot I, Reserved Lot J, and the Parking Decks (i.e. Founders, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, and Mason Pond). The PREMIUM carpool program includes an application process. Once completed, you can park in designated carpool spaces (as available) in the area for which you primary driver’s permit is valid (Lot I, Lot J or the Decks). You are also eligible for a rebate on your primary parking permit based upon the number of people carpooling. Details below.
How to Apply
To apply for a carpool permit, complete the Employee Carpool Program Application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, February 22, 2019
- Fall: last Friday in September
- Spring: the Friday in the last week of February
The carpool premium permit is valid for one semester
Only one person in the carpool group can own a permit (all others need to turn in their permits for a refund minus a $15 administrative fee)
- Have each member in the carpool sign the form
- Drop off the form along with a copy of everyone’s Mason ID and any permits that have already been bought at the Transportation Office (located in Nottoway Annex in Lot C).
- You must carpool together at least 3 days per week and there must be at least 2 people in the car for half of your commute.
- Everyone in the carpool can receive an access device (if in Founders, Mason Pond, or Rappahannock parking deck) with a refundable deposit of $25 per access device. For those parking in Shenandoah, no device is needed.
- The group is responsible for transferring the permit among the participants, as well as reconciling all financial issues.
- Each carpool vehicle must be registered with the carpool group.
- Carpools need to reapply each semester to be in the carpool PREMIUM program
If you have a carpool deck or reserved Lot I or J permit (and you get the rebate), you must follow the normal rules for that permit. The primary permit holder will receive a $35 restricted violation if he/she does not park in the appropriate area. Video monitoring will be enforced over the course of the academic year to ensure that all carpools are compliant with the policy.
The Transportation Office will process your application and you will receive an email or a phone call within three business days to pick up your carpool permit from the Transportation Office.
- Upon approval of the application, a supplemental carpool permit will be issued to the primary permit holder.
- Both the primary person’s permit and the supplemental permit must be displayed in the carpool vehicle.
- Hang the regular permit on the rear view mirror and place the supplemental permit on the dashboard.
- If a citation is issued, it will be assigned to the primary permit holder. Upon request, a citation can be reassigned to another carpool member's registered vehicle.
Where you can park
You can park in any lot or deck for which your primary permit is valid. If the carpool spaces are all full, you are free to park anywhere your primary permit is valid.
Fairfax Campus – Lot I or Lot J
If you have a Lot I or Lot J permit on the Fairfax Campus, you can park in any of the reserved spaces in the lot for which your permit is valid (your permit is not valid on the perimeter of either lot).
Parking Decks in Fairfax and Arlington
You can park in any carpool spaces of the deck for which your permit is valid:
- Mason Pond Deck (3rd level )- 2 spaces
- Shenandoah Parking Deck (3rd level) – 3 spaces
- Rappahannock River Deck(southeast corner of Level 1) – 6 spaces
- Founders Hall Garage: 21 spaces
How Rebates Work
ONLY carpools with Deck, Lot I, and Lot J permits are eligible for the following parking permit rebates:
- 20% off the permit price for a two person carpool
- 30% off the permit price for a three person carpool
- 40% off the permit price for a four person carpool
- ONLY ONE EMPLOYEE IN THE CARPOOL CAN OWN A PERMIT (all other carpoolers need to turn in their permits to the Transportation Office and will receive a refund minus a $15 administrative fee).
- The primary permit is bought at full price. The rebate will be given to the permit holder at the end of each semester based upon the semester value of the annual permit.
- Non-permit holders can receive from the Transportation Office (Nottoway Annex in Lot C):
- 2 FREE Daily Parking Passes per Month: The two free daily passes cannot be shared among the group or given to another person for use.
- Additional Discounted Parking Passes: Carpoolers have the option of buying an additional half-priced pack of 5 daily passes per semester or half-priced pack of 5 deck validations.
- Guaranteed Ride Home: provides up to 4 FREE rides home per year in case of emergency. Sign up at: https://www.commuterconnections.org/commuters/guaranteed-ride-home/
- Payroll Deduction: In addition to the PREFERRED parking spaces, those permits paid through payroll deduction must be turned in and deductions will cease immediately.
- Financial Savings: Sharing the cost of one parking permit and gas helps save money on your commute.
- Less stressful commute: Carpools can take advantage of HOV lanes and arrive to campus faster.
- Go Green: Make your contribution to our environment by carpooling and helping to reduce CO2 emissions.
If Your Carpool Changes
If a member of the carpool chooses to leave the carpool, the primary permit holder needs to promptly notify the Transportation Office. If only one member remains in the group, the Transportation Office must be notified and all alternative transportation programs will be cancelled.