In accordance with Mason’s Policy 1131, there are a number of rules and procedures for operating a golf cart on campus. Due to construction and the resulting density of people on campus, Parking and Transportation will enforce the policy starting with the fall 2019 semester. This means that golf carts must be driven on roads, the shared use path on Campus Drive, and bike lanes when available at all times. Carts cannot be driven on sidewalks or ramps. Golf carts must be parked in a general, service/repair, admin or a designated golf cart parking space. A summary of the rules is below; the complete policy is available at https://universitypolicy.gmu.edu/policies/motorized-utility-vehicles/.
- Drivers must be authorized to operate golf carts following approval from their supervisors.
- Risk Management’s Golf Cart Training is optional but recommended for all drivers.
- Golf carts cannot be driven on sidewalks or ramps.
- Golf carts cannot enter the Dismount Zone (between East Building and Enterprise Hall) or be operated in any other areas where dismount signs may be posted.
- Golf carts must be operated on George Mason Campus roads only.
- Should use bike lanes when available.
- Do not operate a cart on a public roadway.
- All traffic regulations must be obeyed – including stop signs, one-way areas, etc.
- Golf carts must be parked in a general, service & repair, admin or a designated golf cart parking space.
- Cannot be parked on sidewalks or at the entrance/exit of buildings.
- Pedestrians are afforded the right-of-way at all times.
- Drivers should not wear headphones, use cell phones, or operate any other device that may cause a distraction or disrupt their ability
to hear when driving.
Parking and Transportation will administer the rules and procedures above. Please be advised that golf carts will be cited and/or impounded when in violation.
If you have any questions, please contact the Parking and Transportation Department at (703) 993-2828 or email@example.com.