Parking Permit Sales 2019-2020
Parking permits for the 2019-2020 school year will go on sale ONLINE ONLY starting on Monday, July 29, 2019. Permit Pre-Sale for Zimride Members starts on Friday, July 26, 2019.
Sold out as of 8/16/19:
- Shenandoah Student Annual
- Lot M&P Fall
- Lot M&P Annual
- Lot J Annual
- Mason Pond Deck Student Annual
** Please use the links below to view permit rates for each classification**
- Off Campus Student: http://transportation.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019-2020-Fall-Annual-Off-Campus-Student-sheet.pdf
- Resident Students: http://transportation.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019-2020-Fall-Annual-Resident-Student-sheet.pdf
- Freshmen Residents: http://transportation.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019-2020-Fall-Annual-Freshman-Resident-Sheet.pdf
- Arlington Campus: http://transportation.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019-2020-Fall-Annual-Arlington-Sheet.pdf
- Faculty/Staff: http://transportation.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019-2020-Fall-Annual-Fac-Staff-Sheet-Ver-2.pdf
How do I purchase my parking permit?
• Go to parking.gmu.edu and click on Purchase Your Permit
• Log in using your Mason ID and Patriot Web password and then click Purchase Your Permit
• Verify and/or edit your mailing address. Resident students must have an active Postal Box number in Patriot Web to use their University address
• Select the permit you would like to purchase
• Please read all the rules & regulations associated with the permit you intend to purchase and if you agree, click the Accept button. You are responsible for adhering to the posted rules so please make sure you understand & agree before making a purchase.
• Verify permit type and information listed prior to inputting payment information
• Click on the “print permit” link just below the permit description on the final screen. This will allow you to print a ten day temporary permit usable immediately while you’re waiting for the permit to arrive in the mail. If your permit does not arrive in the mail within 14 calendar days, please go to the Parking Services office to be issued a replacement permit.
To see where your chosen permit is valid as well as the rules and regulations, please visit (https://transportation.gmu.edu/policies/parking-permit-regulations/)
Reserved Parking Deck/Garage parking permits require an access device that will allow you to enter/exit your reserved area of the parking deck (if you are purchasing the same reserved Parking Deck parking permit for the 2019-20 academic year that you had for the 2018-19 academic year, your current access device will be reactivated).
If you will need to obtain or exchange an access device, please visit the appropriate Parking Services Office (Fairfax office is located next to the Shenandoah Parking Deck and is open Monday - Thursday, 8:30am-7pm and Friday from 8:30am-5pm effective Thursday, August 22, 2019). The Arlington office is located in Room 219 of the Founders Hall Building and is open Monday – Thursday, 8:30am-6pm and Friday from 8:30am-3pm effective Thursday, August 22, 2019). Please allow 2 business days to obtain access device after permit purchase.
In order to thank our Zimride members for their commitment to ride sharing Zimride members can begin to purchase their parking permits online starting Friday, July 26, 2019 (to register for Zimride go to zimride.com/mason). To be eligible for the Zimride presale you must already have an account or create one by Tuesday, July 23, 2019.
We will have a limited number of reserved Mason Pond Deck, Shenandoah Deck, Rappahannock River Deck, Founders Hall, Lot I, Lot J, Lot R, Lot M&P, West Campus, and General permits available online on a first come, first served basis.
Join Zimride to find others with the same commute as you and enjoy the benefits of carpooling to campus. Zimride members and new enrollees who post rides by Friday, August 23 will be entered for a chance to win a $50 Amazon gift card. Sign up for Zimride at zimride.com/mason.
Reserved Parking Permit Rules & Regulations:
• Student Reserved parking permits: Mason Pond Deck, Shenandoah Deck, Rappahannock River Deck, Founders Hall, Lot R, Lot I and Lot J reserved permits are only allowed to park in the General permit areas of the Fairfax campus from 5pm – 11pm Monday through Friday and all day on the weekends. At all other times these permit holders must park in their designated permit areas. Any Faculty/Staff members who have purchased a Lot I or Lot J permit are held to the same rules as stated above. Reserved permits are sold in limited quantities to ensure space availability to permit holders under normal conditions. Reserved areas may be used as overflow parking on occasion but permit holders will still be assured a space.
• The only exceptions to these rules are Mason Pond and Shenandoah Evening permits which are valid in the General permit areas at all times.
Free parking and alternative transportation options are also available (Mason Shuttles, biking, or public transportation). Visit transporation.gmu.edu for more information.
• The Burke Centre VRE has a FREE PARKING GARAGE. The Burke Centre VRE shuttle travels between the garage at the Burke VRE station and the Fairfax Campus. The trip is approximately 20 minutes. Please check the shuttle schedule for full details at shuttle.gmu.edu.
• Free Mason Shuttles run regularly between Fairfax Campus and Vienna Metro, Science and Technology Campus, and area shopping centers (Gunston’s Go Bus). Check shuttle.gmu.edu for details.
• CUE Bus-free with Mason ID. Travel through City of Fairfax and to/from Vienna Metro. Check cuebus.org for details.
Student Carpool Program-Discounts for Reserved Deck and Lots I Reserved and Lot J Reserved permits
The student carpool program provides a 20% - 40% refund on reserved deck (Mason Pond Deck, Shenandoah Deck, Rappahannock River Deck, Founders Hall, Lot I, and Lot J Reserved permits.) Register your carpool at the Transportation Office (located in Nottoway Annex) by September 27, 2019 to receive the discount. ONLY one person in the group will be able to own a permit but the permit can be shared between members of the group. The discount will depend on the number of people in the carpool. For more information on the student carpool program, please go to: student carpool program. For questions, please email transporation.gmu.edu or call 703-993-2828.
Carpool Zone in Lot A and Rappahannock Deck (Level 1) – General Parking Permit, West Campus, Lot M/P Only
Anyone with a General student or faculty/staff parking permit and 2 or more people in the car or a West Campus or Lot M/P permit with 3 or more people in the car can park in these areas. The carpool zone in Lot A and the carpool zone in the Rappahannock Deck (Level 1) will be open 7am-11am, Monday through Friday. During all other times, the area will be regular general permit parking.
How it Works:
- Non-resident students, faculty, and staff are eligible for Carpool Zone
- Arrive at the Fairfax campus between 7am and 11am Monday-Friday
- With a general permit: Have at least two people in your vehicle when you arrive
- With a West Campus or Lot M/P permit: Have at least three people in your vehicle when you arrive
- Display your parking lot parking permit on your rear view mirror (West Campus or Lot M/P permit holders will receive an additional dashboard pass from the Parking Services ambassador)
- Park in the designated section of Lot A or Rappahannock Deck (see maps)
An ambassador from Parking Services will be present to ensure that only those who carpool are allowed to park there. Those driving alone will not be able to park in the Carpool Zone. Use Zimride to find or share a ride!
Motorcycles, Mopeds, and Motorized Scooters:
All motorcycles, mopeds and motorized scooters will be required to have a permit displayed when parking on any of George Mason University’s campuses. Motorcycles, mopeds and motorized scooters will no longer be allowed to park at bike racks/shelters. Parking will only be permitted in dedicated motorcycle parking areas with a motorcycle permit, or in a regular vehicle space with a valid parking permit (lockable permit holders can be purchased at the Fairfax Parking Services Office for $25). A dedicated motorcycle/moped/scooter permit can be purchased online for $100/year, or $30 as a supplemental permit when purchased with a regular vehicle permit. If you have a moped or motorized scooter that has not been registered with the DMV (no license plates), then you will need to purchase your permit at the Parking Services Office.