- Arlington Campus Map
- Visitor Parking
- Special Parking (Disabled, motorcycle, and fuel efficient vehicles)
- Faculty/Staff and Student Parking
- Van Metre Hall (formerly Founders Hall) Parking Garage
- Arlington General – Vernon Smith Garage
- Transportation Options
- Arlington Campus Validation Form
- Faculty Staff Arlington Payroll Deduction Permit Application Form
- Vernon Smith Garage Access Card Application Form
News and Announcements
Visitor parking is available in the Van Metre Hall (formerly Founders Hall) Parking Garage. The rates are set at the prevailing rates for all University visitor garages:
1st 30 minutes are complimentary. Parking beyond 30 minutes automatically incurs a $3 charge.
- 1 Hour - $3
- 2 Hour - $6
- 3 Hour - $9
- 4 Hour - $12
- 4-24 Hour - $15
- 1 Hour - $3
- 2 Hour - $6
- 2-24 Hour - $8
Payment methods accepted: Visa, MasterCard, and Van Metre Hall validations. To requested validations, please complete the Arlington Campus Validation Form.
There is no visitor parking is allowed in the Vernon Smith Garage without prior authorization from Parking Services.
Event parking is arranged with the Events Management office in conjunction with Parking Services. Please contact Events Management (3-8140) or Parking Services (3-8146 or email@example.com) for information on meeting your event needs. Organizations can purchase validations from Parking Services for their guests. Please complete the Arlington Campus Validation Form.
Special Parking (Disabled, motorcycle, and fuel efficient vehicles)
- Disabled Parking– Available in each parking facility. Vehicle must display BOTH a valid DMV disabled permit (tag or placard) and a valid Mason parking permit (or payment required). DMV permits alone are not valid for parking in campus parking areas or lots.
- Motorcycle Parking– Motorcycle parking must be arranged through the Arlington Parking Services office.
- Fuel Efficient Vehicle Parking– There are preferred parking spaces in the Van Metre Hall (formerly Founders Hall) Parking Garage and the Vernon Smith Garage for eligible fuel-efficient vehicles. A free supplemental fuel-efficient vehicle permit is required to park in these spaces.
Faculty/Staff and Student Parking
Parking at the Arlington Campus is restricted to those either working or attending class at the campus. Parking is very limited, especially in the Vernon Smith Garage. Those planning to arrive between 1:00 pm and 5:30 pm should consider using alternative transportation to get to campus including using Metro, walking, and bicycling. There is metered parking on surrounding streets; however even on-street parking may be limited at times.
- Carpool Parking: There are some preferred faculty/staff carpool spaces in each facility, requiring a free supplemental carpool permit.
- Administrative Parking Permits: Departments from the Fairfax and Science & Technology campuses can request a Van Metre Hall (formerly Founders Hall) access device that will allow them to park in the Van Metre Hall Parking Garage while conducting business on the Arlington campus. The access devices are intended to be shared amongst all members in the department and are not for the sole use of one individual. The Van Metre Hall access device does not allow parking in the Vernon Smith Garage. To request a Van Metre Hall access device for your department, please send your request to Ann Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arlington Student Supplement Parking Permits: Arlington Student Supplement Parking Permits: Students with a valid Fairfax-SciTech General parking permit (or higher) may obtain a complimentary supplemental parking permit for the Vernon Smith garage at the Arlington Campus. Proof of a valid Fairfax-SciTech permit and a class schedule is required to receive a supplemental permit. Students with anything less than a Fairfax-SciTech General permit may pay an additional fee to upgrade to the Vernon Smith garage or Van Metre Hall garage permit. Please come to Arlington Parking Services office (Van Metre Hall #219) in order to receive a complimentary supplemental parking permit.
Van Metre (formerly Founders Hall) Hall Parking Garage
3351 Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22201
The Van Metre Hall Garage Parking Deck is a reserved parking garage that guarantees all Van Metre Hall permit holders a parking space in that structure.
Entrance is located on Founders Way North, located behind Van Metre Hall off Kirkwood Road. To access the Van Metre Hall garage, use the alley behind Van Metre Hall, turning off either Kirkwood Drive (behind Hazel Hall) or on Washington Boulevard at the traffic signal between Giant and the Vernon Smith Building.
Van Metre Hall permits will also be valid in the non-restricted spaces of the General permit areas on both the Fairfax and Science & Technology campuses. The Van Metre Hall reserved parking permit is not valid in the Vernon Smith Garage.
Van Metre Hall Garage Day & Evening reserved Parking Permits –
- The Van Metre Hall Day reserved Parking Permit is valid in Van Metre Hall from 5 AM – 6 PM, Monday through Friday, and all day on weekends.
- The Van Metre Hall Evening reserved Parking Permit is valid in Van Metre Hall from 2 PM – 2 AM, Monday through Friday, and all day on weekends.
- Both of these permit types will guarantee you a space in Van Metre Hall during their specified time range. These permits are also valid in the General permit areas on both the Fairfax and Science & Technology campuses. These permits are not valid in the Vernon Smith Garage.
For pricing information and to purchase a Van Metre Hall Parking Garage permit, visit My Parking Account and login using the same username (NetID) and password as your Mason email and PatriotWeb accounts.
Monthly Parking at the Van Metre Hall Garage
The Van Metre Hall Garage Parking Deck requires the use of a unique electronic access device, so once you purchase your permit, you will need to visit the Arlington Parking Services’ office, located in Room 219 in the Van Metre Hall Building to obtain the device.
- Faculty and Staff: Faculty/staff eligible for Payroll Deduction can obtain a non-expiring Van Metre Hall Payroll Deduction parking permit. You will need to visit the Arlington Parking Services Office located on the 2nd floor of Van Metre Hall in Room 219 to apply for the Arlington payroll deduction permits. Please call us at (703) 993-8146 to check for eligibility.
- SRA & CSC: $95/month – no prorating. Those who are SRA and CSC employees qualify, and must come to the Parking Service Office with their badge and their car registration to apply for a monthly permit. Payment is due on the 1st of each month utilizing Visa, MasterCard, cash or check.
- FDIC: $110/month – no prorating. Company identification, vehicle registration, payment requirements and methods are the same as with SRA & CSC.
- Others: Advance approval must be obtained by sending an email to email@example.com. If approved, you must come to the Parking Service Office with your I.D. and car registration. Payment requirements and methods are the same as with SRA, CSC & FDIC.
Arlington General – Vernon Smith Garage
3434 Washington Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22201
The Vernon Smith Garage is a first come, first served parking garage. The Arlington General parking permit for this garage will also be valid in the non-restricted spaces of the general permit area on both the Fairfax and Science and Technology campuses. The Vernon Smith General parking permit is not valid in the Van Metre Hall Garage.
An Arlington Faculty/Staff/Student General permit and access card are required to park in the Vernon Smith Parking Garage. You can obtain an access card from the Parking Services Office located in Van Metre Hall, Room 219. Arlington’s faculty, staff and student community are entitled to 312 parking spaces in the Vernon Smith Garage before 6:00pm, and 550 spaces after 6:00pm. A General permit does not guarantee a parking space in the Vernon Smith Garage.
Faculty/staff eligible for Payroll Deduction, can obtain a non-expiring Arlington General Payroll Deduction parking permit. You will need to visit the Arlington Parking Services Office located on the 2nd floor of Van Metre Hall in Room 219 to apply for the Arlington payroll deduction parking permits. Please call us at (703) 993-8146 to check for eligibility.
Additional Parking in Vernon Smith Garage
There is now a designated group of parking spaces for Mason Faculty/Staff only until 5PM, Monday through Friday on level B-3 of the Vernon Smith Garage. This area will be open to students after 5PM. Faculty/staff/student Arlington General parking permits will be allowed on level B-4 of the Vernon Smith Garage after 6PM.
For those driving directly to the Vernon Smith Parking Garage it is recommended that you approach the garage from the north on Washington Boulevard so you can make a right turn into the entrances. If you are driving on Fairfax Drive from I-66, you can make a left at Quincy St. (the Arlington Funeral Home sign is on the corner) and then make a right onto Washington Blvd. across from Washington and Lee High School. It is best to use the entrance closest to Giant by turning right at the traffic light.
There is no overnight parking allowed in Vernon Smith garage without permission from Parking Services and arrangements must be made in advance. Parking Services must be notified each time overnight parking occurs.
- Ensure vehicle make, model, color, and tag number are provided.
- Provide the Garage level where the car is located.
Staff must have a note on the dash of their car before they leave.
- Metro: The Virginia Square stop is less than 2 blocks from campus. If traveling to the Fairfax campus, you can take Metro to the Vienna metro stop on the orange line and then hop on the CUE bus or the Mason to Metro Shuttle to campus. Check Mason Shuttles for more information
- Metrobus Routes Serving Arlington
- Arlington Transit (ART)
- Bicycling & Bike-Sharing in Arlington
- Arlington's Car-Free Diet: Each time you leave your car at home — choosing instead to ride ART or Metro, bike, walk or telework — you can save money, improve your health and clean our environment.
Parking Services Office
Location: Van Metre Hall Building (formerly Founders Hall), Room 219
Phone: 703-993-8146 or
Hours of Operation