The Commuter Choice Program is for full-time employees - faculty and classified staff.
- 8 trips per month minimum waived until further notice; when completing the Monthly Request Form, please note the number of trips you plan to make from the drop-down menu on the updated form below.
Commuter Choice Guidance
- 6/30/2021 Metro (WMATA) Fare Gate Project and the Impact on older SmarTrip Cards (purchased before 2012). Current Commuter Choice users with older cards received this email on 6/30/21. However, if you used Commuter Choice before the COVID-19 pandemic and plan to when you return, please read it.
- 5/13/2021 Updated guidance on SmarTrip Card Changes and Monthly Benefit Requests
- 5/7/2021 Guidance on SmarTrip Card Changes and Monthly Benefit Requests (Attachment)
- 1/13/2021 Guidance on Monthly Reminders from Parking and Transportation
Commuter Choice Forms
- Commuter Choice Monthly Benefit Request Form 2021
- Submit by the 10th of each month to receive your benefit for the next month. If the 10th falls on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, please submit your request by the preceding Thursday.
Full-time eligible employees will be able to receive up to $270 per month for public transportation or vanpooling. This is a tax-free fringe benefit paid for by Mason.
Thank you for using public transportation. We appreciate your commitment to using green modes of transportation and to reducing the impact on Mason's parking infrastructure.
Daily Complimentary Permits
All Commuter Choice participants that do not own a parking permit already are eligible to receive two daily parking passes per month.
The Daily Complimentary Permits (of which participants may request two per month) are only valid for the month indicated in the "Valid Month" box on the permit and the permits do not roll over. To get the maximum benefit from the Daily Complimentary Permits, we advise that you request the permits early in any given month in which you will be using them. Any vehicle with a permit used in a month other than the one indicated in the "Valid Month" box will receive a citation. There will be no exceptions to this rule.
To request the two Daily Complimentary Permits, please email email@example.com with the subject line "Requesting Daily Complimentary Permits."
In order to participate in the Commonwealth Commuter Choice Program, you must first submit the application to the program. You must average 8 times per month using alternative methods (other than driving alone) to be eligible for both the Commuter Choice Program and to receive two complimentary daily general lot parking permits per month (if you do not own a permit) -- average of 8 times per month temporarily waived until further notice due to COVID-19. If you have a parking permit, you will be issued two all-day garage validations per month instead.
If you have a parking permit: you also have the option of buying up to two (2) half-priced packs of 5 deck validations for $37.50 each.
If you do not have a parking permit: you also have the option of buying up to two (2) half-priced packs of 5 daily passes per semester for $22.50 each or two (2) half-priced pack of 5 deck validations for $37.50 each. You may also choose one pack of each.
Commuter Choice: WMATA Self Service Feature
If you are in the Commuter Choice Program and lost or damaged your SmarTrip card, in the past you would reach out to Parking and Transportation. Now, you can simply use the WMATA self-service tool from your SmarTrip Card Summary page. To access your summary page, log-in at https://smartrip.wmata.com. For details on how to use WMATA self-service to replace a lost or damaged SmarTrip card, please visit http://transportation.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/Smart-Benefits-Self-Service-Information.pdf. Please review your options carefully before making a selection.
Parking and Transportation are reviewing additional WMATA self-service functions for future use by Mason's Commuter Choice community.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 3-2828.