Bicycle Commuter Choice (Faculty/Staff Only)
Patriot Bicycle Checkout Program
How Do I Register My Bicycle/Scooter?
- Gather the following information about your bicycle/scooter: make, model, serial number, color, bike size, type, and any other identifiers (if you’re not sure where to find this info, contact our office).
- Fill out the Bicycle/Scooter Registration Form.
- You will complete the registration process by coming into one of the parking services offices. We will have a registration sticker, complimentary U-lock, bike safety information, and other biking-related giveaways available for you to pick up.
- Fairfax Campus – Nottoway Annex, Phone: (703) 993-2828
- Mason Square – Van Metre Hall, Room 219, Phone: (703) 993-8146
- Science and Technology Campus – Colgan Hall, Room 112, Phone: (703) 993-4808
- Once you pick up your bike kit, please place the registration sticker on your bike or scooter as directed in the diagrams below. All Mason registration stickers must be located in the same place for consistency across the program and ease of finding your registration sticker if needed.
Students, faculty, and staff who live off-campus and do not own a parking permit will also receive 2 daily complimentary parking permits per semester upon registering their bycicle or scooter. The 2 daily complimentary parking passes can be used for parking in general lots on campus. Please request your parking passes when you are picking up your bike kit.
- For students, the registration is valid for 5 years.
- For faculty and staff, the registration is valid for the duration of employment.
- Bicycle/Scooter registration helps to keep track of how many bicycles and scooters are on campus, and it helps us provide you with more programs, racks, and infrastructure.
- If your bike/scooter is registered with us, we can assist you if you need to have your lock removed for any reason (e.g. it rusted, you forgot the combination, etc.). We cannot assist you if your bike/scooter is not registered with Mason.
- You can be contacted if your bicycle/scooter needs to be moved or if we have a special announcement for cyclists/scooters on campus.
- If a registered bike/scooter is stolen and recovered, it can more easily be returned to its owner.
- Having a registration sticker on your bicycle/scooter acts as a theft deterrent (the stickers are specially designed and are very difficult to remove).
The Bicycle Commuter Choice rewards Mason faculty and staff for cycling to work. To participate and receive these great incentives, please read the information on this page and complete the Bicycle Commuter Program Form.
What You Need to Know
All full-time and part-time faculty and staff are eligible. You must be actively employed at Mason at the time of the quarterly pay out to receive it.
The Bicycle Commuter Program Form must be submitted quarterly and no later than the 15th of the month following the end of the quarter to receive the incentive for that quarter.
- Q1 (January 1 – March 31) – due by April 15
- Q2 (April 1 – June 30) – due by July 15
- Q3 (July 1 – September 30) – due by October 15
- Q4 (October 1 – December 31) – due by January 15 (following tax year)
Incentives are processed through HR & Payroll and all incentives are taxable including:
- The quarterly financial incentive
- Complimentary parking passes/validations used (valued at $8 each)
- The funds for the complimentary bike check (Tiers 2 and 3 only). Please note: Funds for the complimentary bike check ($100 for Tier 2 and $200 for Tier 3) will be paid annually as part of the Q4 benefit.
- Quarter 4 (October through December) incentives will be part of the following year’s taxable income.
- Because the incentives must be administratively reconciled in Parking and Transportation and processed through HR & Payroll, we will not accept late submissions.
|Tier 1||Tier 2||Tier 3|
|Quarterly Required Rides for a Financial Incentive||5 rides|
Ride #1 = $10
Rides #2-5 = $5 each
|Annual Bike Check (Value $200)||N/A||N/A||50% off|
|Quarterly Complimentary Daily Parking Passes|
(Taxable item, request as needed)
|Quarterly Distance Bonus|
(> 10 miles One Way)
|Complimentary Access to Showers |
Van Metre Hall, Merten Hall, Aquatics Fitness Center, RAC
|Maximum Annual Benefit|
Daily Parking Passes ($11)
Distance Bonus (if eligible)
Bike Check Subsidy
Complimentary Parking Passes
All Bike Commuter Choice participants are eligible to receive their tier level of daily parking passes or validations per quarter.
- Daily general passes ($11 value) are good for one day in any general lot all day.
- Parking validation ($18) is also good for the day in any parking deck but does not allow reentry privileges. Once you leave before the time has expired, you lose the remaining time on the validation.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the permits.
Register your bike to receive a free on-guard U-lock and bike lights.
|Tier 1||Tier 2||Tier 3|
|Parking Passes per Year||12||24||36||48|
|Parking Pass Annual Value||$132||$264||$396||$528|
|Garage Validations per Year||6||13||17||26|
|Validation Annual Value||$90||$195||$255||$390|
Daily Permits Terms & Conditions
- Permits expire on August 31 of each year. Parking validations have no expiration date.
- You will be taxed in the quarter you request the permits or validations. To ensure that you are not taxed on passes/validations you do not use, please order them by emailing email@example.com as you need them.
- Up to six introductory parking permits will be provided in your first quarter in the program (2 per month of the first quarter). The number you receive will be based upon when in the first quarter you apply to the program. After that, the number of parking permits will be based on the previous quarter’s report.
- If you would like to receive validations instead of general lot permits, please let us know. The number of validations received will be lower because the validation value ($18) is higher than the lot permit value ($11).
- When using a permit, be sure to enter the date of the day on which you are parking on the permit. You will receive a citation if you do not enter the date when you are using the permit.
Frequently Asked Questions
All part- or full-time faculty and staff are eligible to participate.
Yes. Your bike rides using Capital Bikeshare will count toward your BCC rides. The cost of the membership is not covered in the program.
You can definitely use a scooter to get to work but scooters are not included in the BCC Program.
Yes, rides using an electric assist bicycle do count in the BCC Program.
Yes, you can participate in both programs. They are two separate programs however and must remain separate because Bike Commuter Choice is taxable and Commuter Choice is tax-free.
The Bike Commuter Choice Program is completely taxable. All the funds you receive for participating, along with the value of any complimentary parking passes you receive as part of the program (currently valued at $11 each) are taxable. The amounts are submitted to HR and Payroll each quarter and are then added to your paycheck.
If you record a day on your BCC as having ridden to work, it means you completed two legs of your journey – to and from work. If you only complete one, that’s ok, but you have to complete another leg, to or from work, to record the full day.
Each time you complete a box with a date on the form, you are certifying that you have ridden two legs of the journey. If the two legs of the journey are completed on two different dates, use the date of the second leg.
Using a multi-modal route to work is terrific. But, you can’t receive support from two different programs for the same commute. You will have to decide whether to report the trip through the Commuter Choice program and receive funds to cover the cost of the public transportation portion of your trip (Note the IRS limit of $300/month) or report your trip as a Bike Commuter Choice trip.
You must be actively employed at Mason at the time of the quarterly pay out to receive it.
This pilot is brought to the Mason community by Mason Recreation, the Office of Sustainability, and Parking & Transportation. The Recreation & Athletic Complex (RAC) and Aquatics Center (AFC) have 10 bikes available for checkout at no cost with your valid Mason ID.
Checkout & Return Locations
The Recreation & Athletic Complex (RAC)
Aquatics Center (AFC)
Monday – Thursday
Friday – Sunday (Return Sunday evening)
How to Apply
- Complete a one-time initial agreement online. The terms of the agreement are in effect each time you ride.
- Submit bike checkout online and pick up the bike at RAC or AFC.
- Track bike availability and your user history online.
- Return the bike at RAC or AFC before the expiration time.
- Since this is a pilot program, your feedback is invaluable. Please share your experience with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bike Volunteer Program
For campus community members who need assistance in mapping a bike route to Mason, please contact our bike volunteers for help. To sign up to volunteer, email email@example.com.
|Name||Bike Route Area|
|Bine, Kathyfirstname.lastname@example.org||ZIP Code 22031
(near the Vienna and Dunn Loring Metro Stations to the Fairfax Campus)
|Blackwell, Kimemail@example.com||City of Fairfax|
|Herin, Greta Annfirstname.lastname@example.org||ZIP Codes 22032
|Johnson, Deliaemail@example.com||ZIP Code 22015
(near Lake Braddock Secondary School)
|Rebhuhn-glanz, Rebeccafirstname.lastname@example.org||Between West Drive
(off Route 123 in Fairfax City) and the Fairfax Campus
|Snodgrass, Paulemail@example.com||Assistance to Mason Square (Arlington)
from South Arlington, Alexandria, as well as points west using the W&OD trail. Can assist riders from North Arlington and DC as well.
|Sokolov, Vadimfirstname.lastname@example.org||ZIP Code 22032
(near Twinbrook and Braddock)
|Usher, Bethanyemail@example.com||Burke Lake
South Run, Huntsman, and Burke area
For All Cyclists
- All public buses and Mason Shuttles are outfitted with bike racks.
- There is a map of bike lanes, racks, shelters, and pumps located on the Fairfax campus, a map of bike racks on the SciTech Campus (PDF) and Mason Square (PDF), and biking resources for all bicyclists, including bike pumps and fix-it stations, bike trails, biking tips, and local groups.
- A Capital Bikeshare station is located on Mason Square.
- Mason has a Bicycle Advisory Committee that meets each spring and fall to provide feedback and collaborate on enhancing the biking culture at the University. If you would like to be a member of the committee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Van Metre Hall (south side, near Capital Bikeshare station)*
- Commonwealth (west side, next to bike shelter)*
- Field House (north side, in the bike shelter)
- Innovation Hall (south side of the building)*
- Johnson Center (east side, not far from Panera)
- Mason Pond Parking Deck (east side, level 3, near the bike shelter)
- Northern Neck (near Starbucks)
- Sandy Creek Transit Center
- Colgan Hall (south side near the exit by Mercer Library)*
An asterisk means there is both a bike pump and a bike fix-it station at the location.
New to Biking
- Visit our volunteer list for assistance.
- Additional mapping resources: