Employee Vanpool Program
Team up, Save Time, and Money: Join a Van Pool
COVID-19 suggestions for vanpooling
- Be prepared to sanitize your vehicle whether you own or share it.
- Disinfect anything you touch – door handles, steering wheel, controls, etc.
- Wear face coverings while riding together.
Mason would like to assist employees who would like to join an existing vanpool or start a new one.
How does Vanpooling work generally?
- A vanpool consists of a minimum of 4 people to a maximum of 15 who travel together to and from work.
- Federal rules stipulate that a vanpool must use a minimum vehicle size of 7 passengers and 80% of the mileage must be used to transport employees to and from work in trips where at least 50% of the seats (not including the driver) are occupied. This is why the minimum number for a vanpool is 4 in a 7-passenger vehicle.
- You can use any vanpool provider in the area. For a list of vanpool providers, sign up with Vanpool Alliance.
- To find others with whom to vanpool, visit:
- Once you have your vehicle, riders, and a meeting location, e.g. a Park and Ride Lot, then you will:
- Select a Vanpool Coordinator
- Split up the driving and other vehicle responsibilities
What is the role of the Vanpool Coordinator?
- The Vanpool Coordinator acts as the vanpool team captain
- Recruits riders
- Is the point of contact (and responsibility) for the Vanpool provider
- Submits any reports required by the Vanpool provider
- Acts as a liaison to Mason with respect to their vanpool
What do you save when you Vanpool?
- Reduce the amount of time you’re driving
- Use HOV lanes for free
- Split any tolls
- Less wear and tear on your car
- Potential reduction in your personal auto insurance costs
- Reduce the cost of your commute – in some cases to zero
- Reduce C02 emissions
How Does Vanpooling Work at Mason?
- To receive the Mason subsidy of up to $270/month
- You must be a full-time faculty or staff member
- Obtain a WMATA SmarTrip card and register it with WMATA. Visit http://www.smartrip.com for details
- Visit Mason’s Commonwealth Commuter Choice page to:
- Complete the Commuter Choice Enrollment form (one time)
- Complete your Monthly Benefit Request (due the 10th of each month or the Thursday before if the 10th falls on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday
- Use the WMATA SmarTrip website to allocate your subsidy from your SmartTrip card to your vanpool provider
- The allocation process has to be done initially when you join a vanpool and then only if your monthly requested amount changes
- Vanpools do not need to pay to park at Mason; the Vanpool Coordinator (or their designee) picks up an annual permit from Parking and Transportatoin to be used by the vanpool
- Vanpool participants can also:
- Receive up to 2 complimentary parking passes per month
- Participate in the Guaranteed Ride Home Program should an emergency arise
Are there vanpool resources where I live?
- Arlington County - Arlington Transportation Partners
- Fairfax County
- Loudoun County
- Prince William County
Questions? Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com.