Information and procedures during emergencies, including inclement weather and school closings, is available via numerous channels.
The Parking and Transportation Services office is responsible for making decisions that concern traffic, parking, and shuttles at Mason. In case of inclement weather which causes delayed openings and early closures, the department will stop shuttle service one hour after the university closes or start service one hour before the university opens. Contact us or call (703) 993-2828 with any questions.
- Mason Alert - Sign up for alerts from Mason. In case of a serious emergency or imminent danger, Mason will send out an automatic alert to all students, faculty, and staff. However, you can also sign up to be alerted to traffic conditions and emergencies in your residential area.
- Parking and Transportation- Our website displays all emergency announcements and information about school closings, late openings, etc.
- Facebook - We post updates and alerts about school closings, traffic conditions and other relevant transportation news on Facebook. Join the “Mason Parking Transportation” group to start receiving these updates.
- Twitter - Follow @MasonShuttles and @MasonParking on Twitter to receive updates and information about the shuttles, including any service interruptions, schedule changes and Metro news.
- Environmental Health and Safety - Visit the website to view the Emergency Preparedness Guide detailing procedures for different emergency situations on campus.
Regional News Sources
- www.511Virginia.org - Visit the website or call 511 for travel and traffic information in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington DC. The website provides relevant travel information including road conditions and live traffic cameras for major freeways.
- Capital Weather Gang - Check out interesting weather-related news in DC and the surrounding area.
- Fairfax County: The county has an Emergency Alert Sign-up and a blog for information about emergencies, Fairfax County Emergency Information.
- WMATA - Visit the website to find out about Metro service interruptions and construction that may complicate your commute during inclement weather or an emergency.